Please take the time to register and join our community. Registration takes about 45 seconds and once you register, all of the ads will disappear. You can also check us out on FB at X32 Rack Users. You can also view our video playlist concerning the X32 Rack here. X32 Rack Playlist

Direct Out

Please ask any questions concerning Behringer X32 Rack routing here.
thark
Registered Member
Registered Member
Canada

Direct Out

Post by thark »

I have what I think will be the first of many questions regarding routing on the X32. I have watched all the videos that I can find but still ...

What, exactly, does direct out channel mean ... and direct out aux ... and direct out fx?

Cheers,

Keith

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Direct Out

Post by Dana »

thark wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:03 pm What, exactly, does direct out channel mean ... and direct out aux ... and direct out fx?

Direct outs are associated with signal paths that will leave the mixer in a external way. As a example, by default the direct XLR output number 1, would be connected to the direct XLR input for channel one as so on, all the way through outputs 1-8 or 1-16 if you have a stage box connected to the X32. To simplify this, direct outs are any output you can take any signal coming into the mixer, and send it to something outside of the mixer. I am not sure what you mean by "direct out fx".

You can read more about Direct Outs https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/direct-out/.

The Only Difference Between Minor Surgery and Major Surgery Is When It Is Happening To Somebody Else!

thark
Registered Member
Registered Member
Canada

Post by thark »

Thanks Dana. That's what I more or less thought Direct Out means.

What is really puzzling me is the other two that I mentioned. You can find them in the current version of X32Edit on the routing window under, for example, Out 1-16. Move the slider bar to the right and you should see Direct Out Aux and Direct Out FX there.

Cheers,

Keith

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Dana »

OK Brother, now I think I know what you were asking. I have no idea why the Aux Out tab would also include a routing option for its own direct outputs. It makes no sense to me whatsoever. EDIT: OK, the direct outs are associated with the Aux Ins. So, under the Aux Out Routing Tab, the Direct Out Aux would take the Aux Ins, and run them out of the Aux Outs. IE: Aux in 1 and 2 could be a feed from a CD player. If you wanted to run that signal through the X32 and send it somewhere else, you could select the Aux Out tab, and then assign those two signals to the Out Outs 1 and 2 to feed another console or even a set of powered speakers.

As far as the FX Direct Outs go, this does make sense. If you look at the Aux/FX layer tab one the main layer in X32 Edit, you will see FX1, FX2, FX3 and FX4. This allows you to send the signals for your selected FX, directly out of the Aux outputs. You could do this to run to another console or to the mixer at the FOH (Front of House Speakers), so someone else could mix these FXs in, before they come out of the main speakers. Keep in mind that any signal that comes out of the Aux Outs is a line level signal, which means they have not been amplified. I hope this helps. On a side note, the video below shows some examples for using the aux outs.

The Only Difference Between Minor Surgery and Major Surgery Is When It Is Happening To Somebody Else!

thark
Registered Member
Registered Member
Canada

Post by thark »

Thanks, Dana. As you say, we learn something new every day.

Cheers,

Keith